Joe Stringer's blog
Had my write-metadata patch accepted upstream this week, thanks to Yamahata rebasing against the latest master. Also finished up my report and handed it in. Churr to those who helped out:)
Been putting together a few more pieces of my report. Gave the introduction to Brendan for some feedback, and ended up shuffling the intro and background around a bit. These two chapters have most of the content I want now, but still have some work left for reshuffling. Also made some progress on describing OVS architecture and the modifications I've made. The overall structure is coming together fairly well; I just need to push through and fill out the remaining content.
Not a lot to report. Have just been keeping up with assignments, and trying to make some progress on my report each day. Have written the majority of my section on the development process, and about half of my introduction, with scatterings of details in the other chapters. Spent a bit long tinkering with the LaTeX template I'm using, so slightly behind my plan for writing, but should be able to make up for it.
Been fairly quiet the last few weeks, written a little content for my final report and hoping to ramp that up in the next few days. Three weeks left!
In other news, got some feedback for some of my SCTP patches, but the biggest part---the kernel modifications---are still on the backburner. It doesn't look like I'll get everything upstream before the end of semester, although I'm still hoping that there might be some insight I can add to my report from any reviews between now and then.
Had our Honours Conference presentations this week, my talk went reasonably well. Turns out that fifteen minutes disappears pretty quick when you're trying to explain a whole year's worth of work. Pretty happy with it, and having written a talk regarding my work, it gives a good overview of the kinds of content that I need to put in my final report.
Speaking of my final report, I made a start on it this week, starting with a top-down approach of writing up with a list of things I need to explain, which I'll flesh out later.
Had another misc patch to Open vSwitch upstreamed this week, but the primary patches -- metadata and sctp -- are blocking on other reviews/patches in the community.
Tidied up all of my work this week and resubmitted new rounds for everything, write-metadata based on a new round of VALinux patches, and finally SCTP with some basic testing. I had one or two brief comments back regarding these so far, but it seems upstream is quite busy with other work at the moment. I'm hoping I'll get a more full set of feedback this week.
In the mean while, I've been working on my presentation for the Honours conference, and trying to get the OFTest1[1,2] frameworks to give me some useful information. Unfortunately there seems to be some issue in the frameworks where tests will throw exceptions rather than report a failure for some features that the target switch doesn't support. The issue doesn't affect all tests; some will fail correctly rather than report an error. I'm still investigating this behaviour.
The last couple of weeks have been fairly unproductive, with my focus being mainly on other classes, but I did get a couple of things done. Write-metadata went for another round of review, this time based on another patchset from VA Linux. I received feedback for that, and have made most of the adjustments. Tests remain on that front.
In terms of evaluating my overall project, I spent a day attempting to cobble together oftest1[1,2] to do some interoperability testing. Even with the of1[1,2]softswitch implementations that come with the testing frameworks, I've had little luck getting any kind of sane output; it looks like this will be my focus in the following week.
I'd like to be able to have something positive to put in my upcoming honours talk regarding the standards-compliance of the latest OVS code, but we'll see how that pans out.
Worked on my in-class presentation this week. Ran it past Richard and there's a few touch-ups needed before I present on Wednesday.
Got a response back regarding my metadata queries, going to tidy up the patch and submit for another round.
Not a lot of progress this week. Finally worked through and realised what was causing the problem with my write-metadata instruction -- the execution order wasn't what I expected, so packets would be returned to the controller with information about a flow before the write-metadata instruction was executed, which means that it appears like the instruction hasn't been executed. Waiting on a response about how the specification expects things to work.
Brad and I brought the HP openflow switch back out and I had another crack at getting RouteFlow running on it. Made more progress this time, partially due to improvements in the latest RouteFlow code, and partially because I have a bit more familiarity with Open vSwitch, which was the point of failure last time we tried. Didn't quite get it all up and running, but the basic test environment + GUI seemed to work pretty nicely.
Saw a patch come through this week for other instruction support, which made me do a bit of re-think on the way I've implemented the metadata instruction so far. Although this patchset is not particularly near ready, it may be useful for my patch to work against it. It seems that for supporting instructions as commandline input, I may end up running the same set of checks multiple times to verify correctness of the metadata instruction after it's ported to internal structures.
This isn't exactly elegant, but the way which actions are included in various packet types in OpenFlow mean it's the only way to proceed. I tinkered with this against the new patchset, but didn't make much progress. Hoping to post this once more for review in the next week.