Weekly Report -- 11/11/2011
Started collating together the results of my analysis of dark and sleeper traffic in the ISP traces. It's not finished yet, but the results I have so far can be viewed at http://www.wand.net.nz/~salcock/sleepers/
CCR rejected my libprotoident paper, primarily due to a reviewer stating that we had not compared against the "state of the art" described in a paper from 2006 (http://www-rp.lip6.fr/site_npa/site_rp/_publications/737-conextFinal.pdf). This particular technique requires no packet payload, but is only able to identify 10 different TCP application protocols (although I can supposedly create new models for other TCP applications).
I tested the default models against some ISP traffic and found that it performed much better than I had expected, but was still less accurate than the weakest of the OSS DPI techniques. Their failure rate (in terms of misclassified bytes) was 24%, compared with 4.5% for libprotoident.
Started integrating Vineyard's NAVL library into my traffic classification evaluation tool. Started out OK, but ran into a few problems with not being able to force NAVL to expire internal entries for UDP flows when I have decided the flow has ended. This creates a problem if the 5-tuple reappears later, as NAVL returns an error when I try to create a new NAVL connection for that flow because NAVL believes the flow already exists. I've filed a support request, so hopefully I'll get some sort of solution in the next day or two.
Continued integrating Simon's OSPF code into libtrace.